attack of the "dots"!!?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by missD, May 21, 2009.

1. missD

missD Embryo

okay so one of my crested geckos developed a small black dot on the side of her jaw, a week later another black dot appeared on the other side of her jaw. a little time passes and her jaw starts to become deformed!? at first i thought that she had a calcium deficiency but the black dots threw me off? well then i discovered today that one of my male geckos now has this mysterious black dot on the side of his jaw!? they are housed side by side in mesh enclosures (reptariums) i am petrified and do not know what to do or any idea of what this is?? i tried to google it but no info... i wanted to ask some crested breeders if this has ever showed up in any other captive bred colony that they know of? any information on this would be greatly appreciated! thank you in advanced!

the first gecko who had the "dots" (pictured below) is 14 months old. i purchased her from a reptile show in columbus Ohio when she was 5 months old. she eats supplemented baby food every 2 days and dusted gutloaded crickets about once a week. shes misted 1-2 times a day and lives in a 22 gallon with one other female crested. she is 33 grams. she is now seperated from all other geckos. if there is any other information i can provide you with, let me know. I have no clue what this is and any ideas or input would be lovely! thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. beefcake

beefcake Member

could be mites.... i dunno . i also dont know why no one else has responded to you yet. i dont know anything about crested gecks

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say its mites as these would move and there would be far more than 2 or 3 dots. I really wish that I could tell you what it is, my guess would be that the black dot is just an usual marking and the deformed jaw was due to something else.
    Beefcake, the reason why no one else has replied is probably because no one has an answer for missD as this is quite unusual and not a common problem, which would get many replies.
    Sorry I couldn't be much help, hopefully someone with experience with something like this will post soon :).

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

i cant agree with ryan. if they occur in the same time and nearly the same places they might be mites, or perhaps diseases and parasites. i dont know too, but im pretty sure it's quite dangerous :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Ryan1990

It won't be mites, mites are small arachnids that will move about and not just develop and stay in the same place plus they'd be in the tanks. It may not be something dangerous at all and its very hard to make that assumption without having a clue what it is. The only "disease" I could think it would be is a fungla infection, maybe take them to the vets? They'll be able to tell you what it is and put your mind at rest.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. beefcake

beefcake Member

not all mites are extremely visible ryan, they dont just move around freely. the markings could be lesions due to the mites or quite possibly a sign of malnutrition, idk.

12. Ryan1990

I've seen mites many times (worked in a reptile rescue centre which had a few breakouts due to new rescues carrying them) and have always been able to see them, granted not easily but on a light coloured lizard with no large scales I'm pretty sure they'd be visible. The fact that it occured in the same place twice on 2 different cresties makes me think its not mites or a cut etc but something more specific.

13. wearentfree420

wearentfree420 Member

I forget who her username is, but she had a crestie that had "beauty marks".
    Maybe this crestie is developing one of these? it looked exactly the same color.

14. crestedgeckos

crestedgeckos Embryo

How old are the Cresties? Are they getting more of these dots?

Could it be that they are developing dalmation morph patterns and it is a coincidence that it has started in the same place?