Argentine Tegu

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Leezard, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Leezard

Leezard New Member

You all may have noticed other posts from me recently - I've been trying to figure out what type of lizard to get.

My husband originally wanted a monitor. I wanted a Water Dragon (Australian) - I guess we really wanted something kind of unique.

We really have our eyes on the Argentine Tegu right now. We went to a reptile shop yesterday- and held a baby, and really like it. I've read alot on them -- and realize how big they get. We are also willing to build a custom enclosure eventually in our basement.

I just want to know if anyone has any suggestions/thoughts/anything on the argentine Tegu. We want a black/white one. We have also learned that they are a lot smarter than the columbian - therefore a lot easier to tame. We don't want anything that we can't tame - I'm at the age where I may start having kids in a couple of years.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Leezard

Leezard New Member

I guess this was moved??? I had it on the general board cause it seems more peopel look there :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Regardless of where more people look (and no I didn't move it), there are areas for asking specific questions. If people didn't post in the appropriate forums (as opposed to the busiest forums), it would get kind of confusing to follow & find posts :)

But Argentine tegus are great animals. Argentine Blue Tegus are my favourites. They're much more gorgeous than the B&W's in my opinion. As adults they can get pretty big - the largest I've seen is around 4ft long including the tail, but they're extremely mellow if handled regularly and treated well.

The 4 footer I saw was as mellow as a pussy cat. I've seen several 3 footer Argentine blues that were also just as mellow. Regular handling and good diet & living conditions is the key.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Leezard

Leezard New Member

Ya, I received a PM from the mod that moved it - no biggie!!! I was just worried no one would see prior to me going to the reptile swap Saturday is all!

My husband actually just talked me into puchasing one. I'm very excited about it now. I've read so many great things on Tegus - I saw pics of the Blue Tegus - they are really pretty!! I like the albinos also.

I read an article about a guy who's Tegu was housebroken, and he would wander around the house. He would lay on a chair with his cat!! That is how tame he was!!

Thanks for the info - it's good to hear, helps make up my mind!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Here's what I could find for now...

Black and White Tegu (aka Argentine Tegu, Tupinambis merianae)

Origin: Southern South America
    Size: A heavy bodied 2.5 to about 4 ft in total length. Tail makes up more than one half of total length.
    Life Span: 10-20 yrs
    Terrarium size: 4ft by 8ft minumum floor space for an adult.
    Terrarium Type: Savannah, chaco, thornscrub forest lizard that thermoregulates at the edges of clearings and trails. Dry savannah and semiarridland terraria can be used to house juveniles. Because they are large, heavy, diggers, all but the sturdiest plantings are quickly trampled.
    Social Structure: As long as they are not crowded, juveniles can be kept communally. Adults can be aggressive to one another.
    Diet: Insects, some mice, fruit. D3 and Calcium supplements necessary.

From: “Reptiles, Amphibians, and Invertebrates” Bartlett, Griswold, and Bartlett.

Links:
    http://www.northernreptiles.co.uk/careshee...tive%20care.htm

http://www.agamainternational.com/merianae.shtml

Hope that helps!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. theTegu

theTegu Embryo

The Blue Tegu are a variance of the Columbian Black Tegu (aka Common Tegu). All of the Tegu breeds are intelligent, the Argentine Black & White Tegu is not necessarily smarter then the Columbian Black Tegu, it's just the Argentine Black & White Tegu is less timid, thus a bit easier to hold and tame when young.

The Blue Tegu, though a variance of the Columbian Black Tegu, is a pretty mellow tegu as well, but not so much as the Argentine Black & White Tegu.

Do alot of reading before you purchase one, make sure you are ready for what you are getting. They are wonderful but do require alot of time and a bit of room.

Further info on Tegus...

agamainternational.com
    bluetegu.com
    and my new site, theTegu.com

12. Leezard

Leezard New Member

Thanks everyone! I just got my Tegu today. I actually posted about it on the Lizard forum - I didn't realize this board was added! How exciting!

Great idea adding this board!!

He's an argentine b&w Tegu - he's about 12 inches long. I have done a lot of research on him - but I'm sure I'll still have more questions. I've been to some really great sites to learn about him/her.

13. suestoo

suestoo Embryo

We got ours in June 04 & she was about 12" long. She now is about 24" long. She is so pretty. We got her because the people at the reptile show said they were the most docile of all the tegus & the most cold tolerant. Simular but not quite like bearded dragons. I have 5 beardies also. Trixie seems to be healthy. She has been eating small mice or rat pups (loves them) about once a week. We started raising rats for snake & now tegu food. Trixie only gets small ones. My son also has a basilisk. My cats don't even go near the reptiles, except the beardies. I had to make new screen tops for them because of the cats. I hope you enjoy tegu as much as we do.

Sue & large family

14. Danac

Danac New Member

Tegus are the ones!

I have had several species of herps and was attracted to Arg. Tegu's because of the their personalities according to exhaustive reading.
    I purchased a youngster with a small segment of tail missing over the net from a breeder, (about 12" or so"), a little over 2 months ago.
    After a week of nipping as a youngster, my boy settled in and over the last couple of months has become an incredible herp.
    He is handled frequently and comes to my hand when I reach into his cage. Over the past couple of weeks he has been very active in between naps, and began to climb the glass and claw at his cage. In fact, I thought that his clawing at his cage was due to improper temps, humidity etc. In fact, he calms down when the cage is approached and almost begs to be let out to rest on my arm, shoulder or the top of my head. I never thought that a reptile could be so intelligent and could be so responsive.

But for space, I would have another one as well. Arg. Tegus are incredible! Understand that they will become fairly large but with constant and proper attention they are IMHO, the best "Pet" reptile, you can have.