Are they possible to potty train?

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by Dylacat, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

I know that I have read this somewhere, but is it possible to potty train them to go into a litter box? I love letting Halona to have as much free-roaming time as possible, but I spend most of my time running behind her, cleaning up her "accidents". I was wondering if I got a litterbox (lined with newspaper), and put some of her excrement in there...would that work? If not, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Rebecca

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. GeckoKing_57

GeckoKing_57 New Member

Yes, you can potty train igi's. I have one that is about a year old that goes in a litter box. I didnt really train her, she just kinda climbed on in and went, from then on thats were she goes.... So it is possible, just work with your iguana and good things will happen.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Thanks GK. Halona will not go in her cage. I put a rubber tub full of warm water in there, and she just will not go. Yet, as soon as she gets floor time, oops! there she goes! *L* My bedroom floor, to say the least, is getting a real beating. I have a bottom to an old guinea pigs cage, that I have set-up in the hallway near my room. She hasn't used it yet...but luckily, I have lots of patience...and I won't give up. Her previous owner had told me that she will only defecate if she's outside...guess I proved her wrong. That whole comment had confused me anyways, since we live in Vermont, where it's like below 60* for 7 months out of the year.

Anyways, I'll stop rambling. I'm glad to hear that someone has had luck with it, and maybe I'll be able to prove that "an old dog can learn new tricks". *L*

Rebecca

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Embryo

LOL! Thats funny - ours does the same. On weekends, I will leave both ends of his "cage" open so he can come out and wander around at will. As often as not, the little devil will come out only long enough to poop under a table and then head straight back in

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I've at least trained her to go on the kitchen floor...much easier to clean than the rug. lol

Rebecca

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

you can take some of the fresh poop and put it inside the litter box and let her see and smell the poop and place it in a spot that she normally poops at. that is what my dad's friend did to train his to go in his bathroom sink

12. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Thanks Klik...Today I was very proud of her. While I was making her salad, she went down the stairs to the front door, and scratched at it till I came. After I opened the door, she went out in the yard, went poo, and then walked back to the door waiting for me to let her back in. I was so amazed, and impressed. Unfortuantely, the snow will be flying in less than a month, so her outside trips will be ney. I've also been just sticking her in the tub, and then wait as she goes. But she doesn't like that very much...she throws a real hissy fit when I do that. I was thinking earlier of what you had suggested, and had tried it...she didn't really want anything to do with it. Looks like the tub is it for the time being...oh well.

Rebecca

13. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

my dad's friend made a ramp going into the bathroom sink...maybe you can make a ramp going into the bathtub for her.

14. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Thanks Klik...that's a great idea.

Rebecca