Are the exo-terra tanks really worth it?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by longswordjd, Jan 21, 2006.

1. longswordjd

longswordjd New Member

With the faliure of my plans for a tank i think i will just buy two seperate tanks! A 65 gallon for my beardie and an exo-terra for my future crestie. I was wondering though are they really worth the money at the petstores? I mean almost $120 bucks for a large 18X18X18 and i want to get the 18X18X24 is that an appropriet size for 1 or two cresties? i heard there are gaps in the front (between the doors) and the mesh on the top that wont hold humidity well! and the backing can the geckos climb on it?Will it melt in sunlight maybe? if the back is toward the window. does it leak like wet moss leaking on a desk top? Overall is it worth the money and possibly time to redo the backing and silicon the joints? Is it? Also could you post pics of your exo-terra setups if you have any! thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Sobedrummer007

Sobedrummer007 New Member

$120 bucks sound really expensive. I paid only like 90 bucks for my 18x18x18. Here, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...p;N=2006+113494 The gaps are nothing major, and it holds humidity fine. They will climb on the back, and you shouldn't put the tank in the sun anyway because it will overheat. It doesn't leak. And what do you mean "redo the backing a silicone joints"?

I think it is worth it.

And here is mine.
    [​IMG]

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

There great just put a heat pad on the back or side and they are perfect well worth it

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Reptileszz

Reptileszz New Member

Hi, I would definitely spring for the 18x18x18 or 18x18x24 if you can. I bought the 12x12x18 and it is too small. It is nearly impossible to heat just a small portion of it. I should have at least gotten the 18x18x18 cube. They were only 90 at the White Plains show a couple of weeks ago. I paid 50 for the 12x12x18.

Carole

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. field_hockey_gal

field_hockey_gal Well-Known Member

They are great, You can't put any high wattage bulb on the top, the plastic can melt. Backing I don't like at all - I usually just throw it out. (also I have hammocks and laggons in there that need the back wall). There is hardly any if any seperation between the doors. It holds humidity fine.
    If you feed crickets in there, the only thing I don't like is the fact crix can climb, and sometimes they fall down behind the backing, and I have had one escape through the holes at the top. Also they can start eating the back. Thats my opinion.
    As for enclosures here are two of the three:
    18x18x24 (can get one or two geckos in comftorably, could maybe get three - its a 35 gal.)
    [​IMG]
    18x18x18 (25 gal)
    [​IMG]
    Sorry if this pics a little big......try clicking on it - it may go down in size
    The other exo-terra one I have is the 12x12x18. That has a young gargoyle in it at the moment.

The other enclosures we have are converted fish tanks. They are basically the same, but they don't look as nice and you can only get in from the top.

I really like the exo-terra ones tho.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. crusty1

crusty1 Member

yessum, i definatly think there worth it,...so much easier to clean with the doors at the front, rather than goin in the top...that will be my next purchase for sure

12. Sobedrummer007

Sobedrummer007 New Member

Some people don't like the back wall, but i like it because it hides my the wires from my waterfall. It is reallya whatever floats your boat thing.

13. crusty1

crusty1 Member

agreed...feild hockey gal how much did u pay for your 18x 18x24?

14. field_hockey_gal

Ummm, around 100-110 I think. - canadian

15. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

Exo-terras are deffinantly worth it in my opinion. That would be why we have 3.

16. crusty1

crusty1 Member

oh really! nice...did u get it offline...im gonna check petsmart tomoro...i never paid much attention to them...cause i always thought they would be rediculas in price...if there that cheap im gettn one tomoro

17. field_hockey_gal

Two we got from a local pet store, and one we got from a breeder - so they are cheaper than the big petstores....I think. Check them out tho.

18. twitch3

twitch3 Member

money is always an issue but with the exo terras you do get your money`s worth.i just got mine a week ago for my baby(18x18x18)and he is always exploring because he started in a ten.they are good for arboreal geckos and lizards and semi-aquatic amphibs.so really in my opinion you get what you paid for

19. pullinapete

pullinapete Member

if you do look to get one make sure you shop around I bought mine for 80CND with tax but I have seen them at as high as 130 no tax (this is for the XL 18,18,24)

20. longswordjd

longswordjd New Member

ohh well i will look around at my local petstores there are like 4 diff ones around here! :lol: lol ummmmmmm....... those are some really good setups! I am just a teen so i dont have a ton of cash that''s why im askin lol! well anyway i guess im gona get a large or xlarge wut do you think one crestie needs? thanks :lol:

longswordjd

21. VAherper

VAherper Member

you can get a 31$ 65 gallon reptarium off of www.lllreptile.com i bought one even though i dont need it right now, half price for a reptarium is an amazing deal. Ive always had the best luck with the reptariums compared with glass terrariums

22. longswordjd

longswordjd New Member

arn't they all mesh how can your gecko climb on that lol :lol: i would rather spend more money for a happy gecko than less money for an unhappy one lol

later!

23. field_hockey_gal

The large is a 25 gal - fine for one gecko
    The X large is 35 gal - fine for one or two geckos

The geckos can climb on mesh, they have claws that they can grip with.

24. VAherper

VAherper Member

its easier for them to climb on mesh than glass, or foam. the mesh trap the setae, so the gecko has an even better grip than on glass. id rather spend LESS money for a bigger enclosure that has more usable area. this is about 3 times the size for a third of the cost of the larger exo terra

25. crusty1

crusty1 Member

dont u have trouble holding a steady humidity tho?