Are guppies food for a fire belly toad?

Discussion in 'Fire Bellied Toads' started by alkafuss123, Jul 30, 2005.

1. alkafuss123

alkafuss123 Embryo

I have a fire belly toad and I feed him guppies, and I was wondering if any of you feed yours guppys? Do you know how many to feed him? And is it safe?
    Also can I mate them in another tank to make more?
    thanks

2. Froggy

Froggy Embryo

I fed mine feeder goldfish, only one a week. They wouldn't eat more than one a week. Yes, you can feed them small guppies, but only enough until he's hungry again. He could get impacted from eating too much.

I think guppies breed fast, so in another tank is better. Also, feed them the healthiest food you can find, so they get gutloaded for your toad. Oh, and don't feed just guppies, feed other foods every once and a while, like crickets.

3. Jtoad

Jtoad Embryo

oh so you can feed them feeder fish

4. Froggy

Froggy Embryo

Yeah :) Like from Petco. I used Red Minnows because they were out of guppies.

5. nuggular

nuggular Embryo

Some will take guppies and some wont. My FBTs wont eat the guppies. I have had them in there for like 2 weeks now and no guppies are gone. Mine only eat crickets. That is all they like. The guppies are good for cleaning up the drowned crickets. I dont even feed the guppies.

6. I'm curious...can ANY small fish be food for a FBT? Why guppies? They seem kind of big to me. Would neons or minnows be better?

7. flutterby

flutterby Embryo

I believe guppies are less fatty than other fish, rosies are in my toads tank but thats only because I got too many to put in with my RES.

8. Orchid021

Orchid021 Embryo

I used small guppies that I got from the local pet store. Mine eat way more than one a week. They like those better than they like the crickets. I think that is the pet stores fault. They keep about 50 feeder fish in the container all the time and very rarely fed them anything else. I am not sure how good this is for them.

9. wat are the guppies actually called, are they called guppies or something else like minnow or goldfish for example. thanks

10. flutterby

flutterby Embryo

I give mine feeder guppies or rosies. I gues they've been eating them because out of 7 I have 4 left.

11. nami_sohma

nami_sohma Embryo

Lol I know this is an old post, but, I do :3 but I use wild coucught guppies, all 5 of mine love them, and I found them to be much healthier and much more "natural" for them seeing most pet stores around me insist on using color enhancer on their fish lol, I know, it's harmless to the frogs, but it's just the thought :p