Any ideas on making temp. warmer??

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by MichaelM, Feb 27, 2005.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

I have an avg. temp in my cage 69-72° F with a 24 hours nocturnal bulb but I need it to be higher. My humidity also needs to be high so i need to mist which makes the temp lower.. Does anyone have any ideas? Do you guys suggest I get a higher wat bulb (75 or 100) or something else?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

I combined my 50 watt red bulb and my 75watt moonlight bulb.. and the temp is good.. is it alright to the or can this hurt my gecko?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

what animal is this tank for?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

my crested gecko.. its a baby 2or3 months old
    the temp. in the daytime with both lights on is 76-77.. so id think its 2 hot..
    should i leave them both on or is it not good 2 have 2? or do you have any better ideas to make it warmer?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Where are you measuring the temps? If you're measuring the temps at the top of the tank and they read 76-77 I'd think that's a good temperature. If those temps are in the bottom of the tank it may be too warm towards the top since heat rises. By the way, I'm moving this post to the Rhacodactylus forum since it's mainly about crestieds.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

I have 2 thermometers in the tank.. 1 with a probe and 1 digital 1 with a hydrometer.. and both of these are on the bottom.. you think i should move the probe to the top?

12. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

No, it's fine where you are measuring. Have you thought about getting a UTH? They use less electricity, and you may find that it's enough to get your temps up.

13. wideglide

Janice,

How do you figure it doesn't matter where the temps are being measured? If this is an enclosed rhacodactylus tank (aquarium on end) and it's 77 at the bottom then you bet it matters. It would most likely be waaay too warm for cresteds at the top of this tank as anything above 84 degrees and they could die.

MichaelM,

77 degrees is ideal and maybe even a little warm. I definitely wouldn't go any warmer than that, especially since it's the bottom of the tank you're measuring the temps.

14. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

I moved my probe up to the top and its getting to around 80 now... its ok right? i dont think its going to get any warmer.. but also wideglide i was wondering.. i guessing you have cresteds of your own? could you tell me how and if i should handfeed the babyfood to my gecko its only 2-3 months old. or if i left it in there will it eat it.. and its in a 20gallon high tank, its ok at that age now right?

15. wideglide

Well I've heard conflicting info on the size of tanks for real young cresteds. From what I understand if the tank is really big young crested's sometimes have a difficult time finding the food. Honestly I think a 20gal on end would be just fine since the floor space isn't real big. If you want to hand feed you can just take some baby food and put it on your finger and your crested should start licking it right from your finger. If I were you I'd go ahead and try putting the baby food in the bottom of your tank and just make sure you can tell your crested is eating it. Use a small container like the lid to the baby food jar or if it is one of those plastic resealable types of baby food containers I've cut the bottom out of a bathroom size paper cup and put the food in there. If you see that the food has little indentations around it then chances are your cresty is eating it just fine. Oh yeah, I do have a couple of crestys of my own. Hope this helps some. Please let me know how it goes.

I think that temp is just fine too.

16. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Thanks alot for the help man. I do try to put the food on my finger and let it lick it off but it walks the other way and ignores that. But i have been taking it out of its cage some nights and putting the food on my finger and letting it lick it since it does it this way and wont run away and then after that i put the rest in the tank on little section of a ripped off paper plate.. is this alright or will it cause it alot of stress? Now about my tempetures.. the other day when i had both lights on while I was at school i came home and the temp was like 86.3 on the probe that is near the top of the cage and I also have a thermometer on the floor of the cage but that was only 75 F ? so i misted it a little and turned all the lights off till it cooled. So now I thought that was way to high so I use just 1 light now the 50 watt red bulb and the tempatures on the probe near the top of the cage are 72-73 in the day 66-69 at night and on the thermometer on the bottom is 65.8-28 in the day and 63-66 at night. What do you suggest about the temps. i listed? Again, thanks alot for the help

17. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

wait you said that the temp up top in the day is around 72 and at night around 67 but then you give another set of temperatures. im sorry but i dont understand what you mean

18. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Well that was what i was talking to wideglide about, because he suggested i move my probe farther up near the top of the cage which i did and i kept my 2 infared lights the cage got 86° so now i only use 1 and the temp. in the day is around 72 and at night 66.. if you could can you give me some suggestions/help with my last post you respondeed to and this one.

19. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

that temp is fine now at 72day and 66 night

20. wideglide

Yep, I think those are good temps. Glad you kept an eye on that temp as that could have caused problems eventually.