Any extra advice almost setup for two corn snakes

Discussion in 'Corns & Rat Snakes' started by Bacardi, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Bacardi

Bacardi New Member

I've got a home-made tank:
    4 ft (Length) x 2 ft (Height) x 1.5 ft (Depth).
    This will be used for two adult fully grown corn snakes, however i am buying hatchlings so they will be put into a smaller plastic tank (already bought) until they out-grow it, then ti will transfer them to the 4 ft tank and use the small one for eating purposes/cleaning out.
    Is what i've said so far ok to do?
    Once the two corn's are old/big enough to determine their sex; then if one is male and the other female, i will look into and atempt to breed them.

If they are both female, would it be ok as to getting a seperate male later on? Or will this cause competition beween the two females.

Also if they turn out to be both male, will two male corn snakes fight or be aggressive towards each other?

Any answers or extra things or queries i need to keep in mind then please say.
    Thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

The best thing is to do would be to provide two separate enclousures for the snakes. Your snakes will do much better that way. The size for the big cage would be great for a single snake.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Bacardi

Bacardi New Member

ok, so is it not at all possible to house two hatchlings?
    what do you mean by this? I would give them their food seperatly.
    If what you said is the case then i will have to buy just one?

Unless i brought the hatchlings up in seperate small vivs and then introduced them by transferring them both into the big viv i have.??

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ieatglue742

ieatglue742 New Member

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Bacardi

Bacardi New Member

Thanks for that link glue eater (even though i had already read it shortly after i had posted this topic) help is always appreciated :wink:

i have got the temperature in the small vivrium correct ~ as far as i know ~ which is 85*F,... at the moment i only have one thermometer for this small viv, yet i think that the temperature wouldn't vary much from side to side as it is a small cage. (the dimensions for this vivarium are; 16 inches Length x 7 inches Height x 10 inches depth)

I have been told that my four foot tank could house up to 4 corn snakes, this was by the reptile shop i go to.

I asked them "if i didn't want corns but i wanted to house two kings would this be ok?", they said that kings were very cannabalistic and there is no way i could achieve this,... but that i could, however, keep two corn snakes in the same vivarium.

My parents said that once i save up i am allowed to get two so i was exited by the fact that i could get two snakes from hatchling and raise them both in my tank.

I then found out and was told that this can be a 'dodgy situation' if they fight etc.

I have read two posts on here about keeping multiple corn snakes in one enclosure and took the points raised in the argument into much consideration.

I used to know someone that had two corn snakes in one tank and they had no problems (until they both escaped :? ) but on the basis of keeping them under control they were fine.

So given the facts, i want to go along with getting two corn snakes as hatchlings (housed together) and introducing them to the bigger tank when they are older.
    - i am not saying that this is what i will do but i will also look into it further, i have seen corns living together before and there were no problems there.

Any more information thanks, also i am not trying to argue or start an arguement i am just trying to find out more thanks

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. stormyva

Good luck with the two snakes!
    I hope one of them does not get ill, one of them become impacted, one of them go back to the cage still scented with prey, or possibly one being incorrectly sexed and bred too early or too many times.

Again good luck to you.

12. Bacardi

Bacardi New Member

thanks again for the help even if that sounded slightly sarcastic :? to me maybe not but it still made me think more and as far as i know i am going to only get one corn snake.

sorry for my ignorance but after more research i realized that its the safest option and also the easiest no worry about doubled vet bills and feeding problems.

thanks again i will still look into everything.

13. stormyva

The reason I said it like that is that if you have the snakes housed together you will never know who is or isnt defacting when they are supposed to, if one gets sick so will the other, and if one goes back in the cage with prey it could get bitten.

14. Bacardi

Bacardi New Member

thanks.

also when i had my bearded dragon i never thoguht much about vet bills and yet i ended up having a fair hindreed spent, a great shame it did nothing... but with only one snake i can see it's half the vet bills.

looking forward to getting a snake !!