Another Ig Question...

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by napolean951, Dec 30, 2004.

1. napolean951

napolean951 New Member

I went into the pet store the other day that I will be buying my new ig from here in a month or two. I was checking them out to make sure that they looked healthy (no mites, not covered in poo, that sort of thing :) ) and the lady there told me that Igs needed to be occasionally fed CRICKETS to keep their protien levels within check. I believe that I read somewhere that too much animal protein can kill your ig. Is this true, or was the lady at the petstore just not very smart about iguanas? :?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

NO CRICKETS!!! They eat very little protein and what they do get is from vegetation only. No animal protein. At all.
    She had no idea what she was talking about.
    One suggestion. Have you checked for any adoption centers in your area to adopt an ig. THere are so many in the pet trade that get abandoned that you'd be doing a real service to adopt one...and a lot of times you can get young ones too if you really want a baby. Just an option.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. napolean951

napolean951 New Member

I have been trying to get into the Humain Society in my area and looking for one, but so far I have had no luck. Right now I think a baby would be better than trying to tame an Adult that has been neglected. Thanks for your help.