Anorexic Chinese Greenbacks

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by srpeano1, Nov 25, 2006.

1. srpeano1

srpeano1 Embryo

Hi everyone,
    My name is Steven. I had two greenbacks that I had in a tank with two White's, a leopard and a skunk gecko. The greenbacks were fine in there until I moved them to a new tank by themselves (I had read that greenbacks produce a toxin that might be harmful to other frogs). Now they won't eat. I'm not sure what to do for them. There is a nutrient powder that I can feed them with a little hollow syringe, but how do I get them to eat on their own? And is the syringe a good idea?
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Reptile_Mann

Reptile_Mann New Member

why did you put all of those diffrent species together, ya know you cant house diffrent species of lizards and frogs together, you cant even house diffrent speicies of lizards together. Anyways, you should bring them to a vet and ask him what you have to say about why it isnt eating, best idea.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

It is a very bad idea to house different species of anything together. There are some main concerns that will help you see this.

1. They can transfer parasites to eachother and will ultimately lead to a greater problem or even death.

2. The tempuratures and humidity (climate) for each animal is different. Therefore making it very hard to maintain a correct climate for each animal. This will also lead to health problems and the death of one or even both of your animals.

3. They may hate eachother and will fight. This will cause major problems.

4. If one is larger than the other, it might try to eat the smaller one.

5. They may stress eachother out, which in most cases causes them not to eat and become very skinny and sickly.

6. A small tank is just not a big enough recreation of nature to shove competing species into it. There is nowhere for the other animals to go to get away from eachother.

To even think about mixing species, you would first need alot of experience keeping many different species separately. Mixing is not something for someone starting out. It is hard to do correctly. Next, you would have to do A LOT of research and find out what species can safely be housed together. You would need to find animals that have the same temp and humidity requirements. Then, you would have to get at least a 100 gallon tank to provide the correct amount of space needed to give each animal its own spot in the tank so that it has somewhere to go to get away from the other if it wants to.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. willythegame16

willythegame16 Member

housing species together is ok as long as it is researched but i dont like the idea of leos with frogs at all.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ExSxP

ExSxP Member

oy, that sounds like quite the gongshow of a tank. I would suggest to seperate all of those animals ASAP. but i highly doubt you'd listen. How long have your frogs not been eating for? sometimes it just takes them a while to adjust to a new setting, can you maybe post your setup? temps? etc? that would help a lot.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. nuggular

If you give the greenbacks some more time, they will settle in and begin to eat again. If you move an animal into a new enclosure, it take a few days up to a week sometimes for them to start eating right again.

12. FlyingMonkeySith

FlyingMonkeySith Member

yeah, give them a few days to settle in and they will start eating again. dont use the suringe just yet, as you will probably just stress them out more.
    lots of people freak out when they hear about housing different species together... i dont think it is always as bad as they make it sound, but im not so sure having a leopard gecko in with 2 tree frogs and a skunk gecko is such a great idea. altho the heating requirements arent that different, the 3 species are not even from the same area. i suggest you at least move the leo out of there. make sure the tank is more than large enough to house all of those animals.
    i hope you get your frogs eating again soon. im sure they will be ok, just give them some time.

13. lollapalooza

lollapalooza Member

Leopard geckos come from dry, hot, rocky areas.

Amphibians come from damp, wet, areas.

Not sure about the other gecko, but that alone tells you no no :p

14. nuggular

Ya the leopard gecko will develope a respiratory problem if kept to long in high humidity