Angus isn't eating :(

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by mr_andrew, Oct 22, 2013.

1. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

Hey guys. So Angus hasn't eaten anything in a few weeks now. He basically comes out during the day and will lay around, but doesn't really do much. He doesn't seem irritated or anything like that, he doesn't seem to mind being held. I take him out and he will sit on my hand no problem, and even when I reach back inside his enclosure he will stay on my arm. I felt his sides wondering if he could have an impaction but can't feel anything.

I'm wondering if he could have started brumation? The reason I'm wondering is I had been away for a few weeks, and when I returned found his basking lamp had been burned out for an unknown amount of time. In that time the temperature was probably only in the 80 range in his enclosure. I replaced the bulb (there was a spare there, the person "didn't notice" it was burnt out). But for a week now I have had the daytime temp in his enclosure hovering around 102-103 with a surface temperature close to 120 in his basking spot. Still, he won't even eat dandelions. He usually eats dandelion greens, collard greens, kale, dandelion flowers and lentils. He hasn't been touching the lentils that are in his enclosure.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Hm.... it could be brumation starting early b/c of the low temps for a little while.... or he could have worms. What did his most recent feces look like? Has he lost any weight? Since his temperament is the same I would go for it having kick started his "winter" slow down but just to be safe I would keep an eye on his weight and see if you can bag up some feces and bring it to the vet with you if it comes down to that... keep us posted!

Nines likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Nines

Nines Member

I agree with StikyPaws3. Temps sound good. Feces to the Vet is valid. Is it wrong to kick him out of this by physically moving him under his heat lamps every morning for a while, getting him to a good temp, so that he starts to slowly perk up. I usually let Nines dictate his daily activities, but since Angus is in a slump of sorts, I think that getting him to a assisted running temp could be just another thing to think about. To me, a warm Uro, usually means a hungry Uro. Can we manipulate brumation?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

To a certain extent - yes, we can, and breeders have been in a number of reptile species for years.

As I'm seeing some chatter throughout a number of forums I monitor and I'd venture to say that this is going to be a bit of a harsh winter this year... I've noticed it before when the herps go in to their winter slow down a little early that we seem to have a very long and cold winter.
    ::Winter is coming:: LOL.

mr_andrew and Nines like this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Nines

Nines Member

LOL. Books and show, I'm a huge fan. And how appropriate on this forum.

StikyPaws312 likes this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

How is Angus doing?

12. Nines

Nines Member

I'd also like an update on Angus!

13. naykid

naykid Member

I've been wondering also ยก Update please;)

14. mr_andrew

mr_andrew Member

Sorry guys! I've been crazy busy.

I'm happy to report Angus is doing well :) After I had the temps in his home up for awhile he came back around had has been eating like crazy, and is always happy to get some human time. Every time I come in the room he comes right up to the glass and paws at it until I go over. I'm sure he is just looking for treats but its pretty funny. He only does it for me, or my mother when she is over. Soon to be "Mrs_Andrew" doesn't get his attention. She's sure its because he knows she isn't too sure about him, but I keep telling her that if she had some dandelion flowers in her hand his attitude would change completely!

Looks like StickyPaws was right about the long cold winter. We just got blasted with another 2 feet this week.

JEFFREH likes this.