Amphibian terrarium

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Louie, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Louie

Louie Member

This is a terrarium which FINALLY plants are growing and taking over. It is empty and has been for a month as on the fence between bumblebee toads or maybe dart frogs.

Not sure yet.

TERR 2.jpg

TERR SIDE PIC.jpg

TERR 3 PIC.jpg

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Oh nice!! I totally vote PDF :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

Look nice! and either would be great for it! They both look awesome! I like all the little frogs/toads, have you seen clown frogs or tiger-legs too? Any of them would be nice for it! :D

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Louie

Louie Member

I love treefrogs and the clowns can be stunning but the reptile room is one room away from the bedroom and suspect that even with door closed I would hear the male treefrogs calling.

Two yeas ago I kept outside in shaded area of my yard 2 Malaysian banded toads for a friend who went to Hawaii for 2 months .
    It was July and August . I kept them outside as he keeps them outside during the summer and I did the same. It rained daily and they called every night.

I kept them in a plastic bin about same size as 20 gallon long , removed the bottom and top and added mesh.

I had like 6 inches of substrate inside so they bury themselves . I did keep them incorrectly because had way to much driftwood because he told me they climbed (never saw that) but they thrived .

Either way the noise/calling was much , much worse than the Cuban treefrogs that frequent my yard come Spring/summer .
    My wife was ticked but in truth we could only hear them if in most of the house lol but not the bedroom.

After that I am forced to avoid frogs/toads that you can hear from a distance otherwise would certainly consider clown tree's.

This is old pic of their outdoor enclosure which remains but empty and overgrown with plants.

Malaysian toad.jpg

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Louie

Louie Member

Yes and some that are rated for beginners like me get big enough as adults to take crickets much bigger than pinheads which is great.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

That's cool! I didn't realize they called, though I know males usually will. It's nice to hear their calls in the summer, but I could imagine having them so close would be annoying! That other cage looks nice too! I have a green tree frog and I'm lucky it's a girl, so it doesn't call. I'm sure any kind you pick will be nice! They are all equally awesome in my book! :p