Amount to Feed

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by lizardgurl87, Feb 14, 2012.

1. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

Well, with my gecko growing and all-I was wondering how should I normally feed now? Since, he was young when I got him-I've been feeding him often. Should I just feed him until he stops eating? I've heard of that, but it never sounded the best to me. I've already started to somewhat limit to every few days, but it gets messed up when I can't get any crickets for as much as a week and can just feed mealworms-which happened last week. So, this week I've been feeding them all a bunch to get their nutrients back. I normally feed mealies a few times a week and wax worms every few weeks or month. I plan on getting Repti-worms(aka pheonix worms, soldier fly larvae)and that will help more, since they're more of a staple.
    Well, any reccommendations on your guys feeding schedule would be great! :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Karlee

Karlee Member

I don't own geckos but what I do is measure them, like Kiki was six inches so I fed her six crickets in one feeding, twice a day. While most people might not agree with me, we aren't rich and farely poor. And also try to feed him several insect species in one feeding, that way he gets a taste of everything. That's just what I do and I though it may help you.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

How old is Izo?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. lizardgurl87

Izo is probably around 6-7 months I'd say, maybe pushing 8. He was only a few months old when I got him in October.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. WingedWolf

WingedWolf Member

Leopard gecko? Should be fed every day, as many insects as he can eat in one sitting (remove leftovers after 15 minutes). Once he's a year old, switch to feeding every other day, or twice a week. A leo should have a great big fat tail. Growing babies need lots of food!

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lizardgurl87

Thanks! Jeff told had told me in chat I should keep feeding him often until about a year. He does eat A LOT now! lol :D I've started to feed him more now that I saw a picture of someone else's, that was a few months younger, and looked fatter and more healthy. He's getting pretty plump now, so that's good :)