aggressive crested gecko? any ideas?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by RLHam3, May 28, 2010.

1. RLHam3

RLHam3 Embryo

so i have a female crested. I've had her since she was 4 grams and now she is around 14(i guess). she is by herself in a 12x12x18. with coco fiber and a back ground i made with coco fiber, expanding foam, and black silicon. i handle her for 20 or more minutes a day and she prefers my hands over other people's. the temperature is usually around 78 but i will confess that it sometimes strays to around 81-82. i feed repashy CGD and keep humidity between 50-80%.

she's never ever bitten me... until two days ago that is. i think that she thought that she was hunting but grabbed the tip of my middle finger and held on for about 20 secs. then yesterday she started attacking one of my freckles and when i moved her she bit the tip of my pinkie finger but let go immedietly(like she thought it was a cricket or something). both times when she bit me i held her for 10 more min to show her that that wouldn't make me put her up. she hasn't bitten me today, but when i gave her some CGD from my finger 5min ago, she started quickly shaking her head which i've never seen her do. after some more prompting, she licked all of it off of my finger like usual though. She shouldn't be stressed or anything. i moved her from my dorm to my house, but that was 3 weeks ago. My dorm might have been around 3 degrees cooler but thats the only real difference that i can think of.

she's been acting kinda crazy ever since that day and i feel like she's been on "high alert" or something. Always acting like she's hunting. has any body ever experienced this kind of behavior before? and does anybody have any suggestions.

also i keep a lot of fish and know that if you feed fish more live prey, they become more aggressive. Would feeding her live crickets quiet her need to hunt or just make her want to hunt more?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

i wouldnt assume she would be more agressive from eating live prey since you handle her anyways

it could be that her eyes are going bad and she just thinks your food. try holding her after feeding time and see if that helps

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jeffg46

jeffg46 New Member

I don't know enough about geckos to know weights, but is there any chance it's a breeding behavior? Maybe she's aggressive because she's frustrated.