advice with leopard ghecko's & bosc monitor lizard pleas

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by shanghikid, May 25, 2005.

1. shanghikid

shanghikid Embryo

hi guy's would just like to say what a great and helpful site this is .right i'm new to all this stuff and want to do my best for my pets i have just got a couple of ghecko lizard's both female ( i think ) and have getting a bosc monitor lizard which is 25" from head to tail which came with the setup in the photo's and have since added ghecko's to top shelf ..

question is the setup i have ok have a heatpad in top for ghecko's under thermostat light at top has green bulb in it , has wood chips on floor ,2 rock hide's for them to hide in ...temperature average's 80 , has water bowl in middle is this setup ok or what else do i need (i know i need a moist hide which i will be getting )

bosc monitor has a 250 watt heatlamp with thermostat control at side which is set at 88 - 92 and a 20 watt uvb light also wood chips on the floor and water bowl at front of tank , monitor is shedding is there anything i can do to help it along..

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shanghiki...m/ph//my_photos

photo's now working

all help will be gratefully received thank you in advance...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Jhoss22

Jhoss22 Member

Get your leopard gecko off the wood chips or you that leo will get impacted. Safe substartes include reptil carpet, slate tiles, papertowels, and cork shelf liners. Loss substrates are respnosible for impactions. Otehr then that I would use a red bulb which can be used all the time to allow you to view your leo all the time without bothering it. I don't know about moniters so I can't be of much help.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

I 'm not familiar with monitor husbandry, but Jhoss has it right about the leo stuff.
    To get a good overview of how to care for a leopard gecko, check out this site
    www.goldengategeckos.com

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ecko_996

ecko_996 Member

Your leos temps are way too low they should be 88-92* on the hot side. since you have two leos i would add a few extra hides at least two on the warm side just incase, leos are solitary animals and although some people house females togather for there leos entire lives most run into problems sooner or later. like Jhoss said the bark is no good for leos it can impact like he said but it will also harbour bacteria and increase the humidity which for leos should be very low like no more than 30%.

Bradon

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. shanghikid

shanghikid Embryo

thank's for the help guys going to change the substrate today got them with the wood chips thought it better to ask better to be safe than sorry..

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. GoldsReptiles

GoldsReptiles Embryo

I can help you out with the monitor! First your cage looks way to small. What are the dimensions? It should be at a MINIMUM twice the length of the lizard, one time as wide and one time as high.That means for a 3 ft Sav its cage should be at least 6ft long, 3ft wide, and 3ft high. Now for your temps! It needs to have a elevated basking site of 120-140 degrees and the ambient on the hot side around 90 degrees and the cool side around 75 degrees this way it will have a WIDE range of temps to choose from. You can easily achieve these temps with a 45 outdoor halogen floodlight. Just raise and lower the basking site untill you get it right. Also make sure the bulb is either ENTIRELY clear or checkered,just NOT checkered with a clear center. These bulbs create a dangerous hot spot. Now for substrate either use cypress mulch or good ol' rural dirt. Both which will hold moisture well and help with the shedding issue. Using wood chips robs the enclosure of moisture along with that huge bulb and you very well will dehydrate you lizard . feel free to as any more questions. The more DETAILS you provide the better.
    Happy Herping!!!

12. shanghikid

shanghikid Embryo

thanks for the info goldsreptiles the setup i have came with the monitor i know i need to build a bigger 1 for it , the 1 it is in is only 32x18x16 only had it for 4 days the guy i got it from said it was ok and there was nothing i needed to do to it other than cleaning it out and feeding , if i build a bigger 1 will i need to add extra heating etc going to build a 8' one