adot

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by iggy_lover, Jul 14, 2004.

1. iggy_lover

iggy_lover New Member

instead of buying an iguana i think it might be worth adopting one. i'm not sure if adopting is the best for me though. i would like to help and give them a chance. is this a good or bad choice for me?

i was just wondering if this would be a good idea for a first time ig oner. training is another problem. how trainable can these be?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lizardboy110

lizardboy110 New Member

it is a good idea but beware some iggies can be mean like my old one so just make sure it is friendly and healthy first

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. iturbott

iturbott Embryo

Adopting is good

Adopting is better for the Iguanas as it takes business away from the pet stores and importers.
    The Iguana you adopt however may, as the previous reply states, be bad tempered. You need a lot of time and patience to work with someone else's attitude.
    My first Iguana was a rescue, bad tude from day one, found out later he just didn't like me. Placed him in a new home and he is thriving and social. Personality clash I guess.
    Saved my new one from a pet store where the owner had knowledge of reptiles, just not Iguanas, brought him home and he is doing great and we are "bonding".
    The fewer Iguanas bought from retailers the better it will be for Iguanas all over. There is over 500,000 imported into the US annually with less than half reaching adulthood.
    Check out adoption sites and talk to breeders and you could end up with a wonderful friend who just craves attention.
    Good luck