adding height to a tank

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by meandmyarrow, May 8, 2010.

1. meandmyarrow

meandmyarrow New Member

Howdy,

What would be the best way to add height to our 20L to better accomodate a climber? I am not very good at construction and I want it to be safe and sturdy.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

Hmm.. I just wrote a reply to this and then RR's decided to log me out meaning it didn't send lol.

Any way, to the topic. The only way I can think of doing it is by adding extra height using mesh. It can be attached to the glass using silicone and secured at the top using a wooden frame/lid. It would have to be fairly thick wired sturdy mesh (or stretched over a sturdy frame if using material mesh). This won't hold heat and humidity well so will decrease your choice of what you can put in the tank. Other than that it is possible to pop the bottom out of another tank of the same length and width and using silicone, attach them top to bottom. However this isn't easy and has to be done well to be safe and secure.
    It may be easier and cheaper to buy a new tank, what is it you have in mind to put in it?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. meandmyarrow

meandmyarrow New Member

Thanks Ryan. We got a crestie :D . We put alot of climbing stuff in there and he seems content and roams alot on the floor as well, but I'd like to give him more actual height since he climbs the glass the most. I read where I could stand it up in it's side but then he has like no floor space.

I have a roll of screen fabric I thought I could use maybe by securing it to a pvc frame I could stabalize by setting it inside his tank, but didn't know if I could make it secure enough where he couldn't get out. I also have and old bird cage made from hog wire but it's about 6 inches too short and I was afraid if I cut it to flare out the sides and Maybe make it fit he could hurt himself. Use duct tape to cover the edges? Is that safe?

Then there's the humidity issue like you said and I don't know a way around that if I use screen or wire. Never thought about popping the bottom off another tank - I'll keep that in mind.

If I buy a new tank I will again have the problem of not wanting an empty one!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. dragonfiregeckos

dragonfiregeckos Embryo

Have you tried turning the tank on its end? and if it is a Critter cage with the sliding screen lid then it will work perfect as i house mine in 20L that are vertical and they do great in em....

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. noahboa1

noahboa1 New Member

I also inverted my 20L. I used Velcro to attach the screen lid to the cage. I also made a custom background for the cage and added two live plants. A Red Geranium and a Papua New Guinea Impatient Hybrid. The leafy vine on the top is a fake Pothos vine I bought at Petsmart. I believe both of my Cresties enjoy it tremendously.

Here are some pictures of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helped!
    -Noah :)