A few questions on maintaining my Crestie

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by mnh01, Dec 6, 2004.

1. mnh01

mnh01 Embryo

Ok. Now first off I like to write, so if you don’t like to read, this POST is not for you. :) Just Kidding People...
    I am posting these questions because there are people like me who sometimes can’t tell the difference between a salesman trying to make a sale, or a salesman trying to actually help you out.

I have had my Crested Gecko for about a year now, and with all the “differences of opinions” that I find with the people I talk to & the internet articles I read, I thought I would post a few questions here at this sight in hopes to clear them up.

#1) My first question is on the Thermometer. Now, with a Crested Gecko, where should the Thermometer be? I have all ways had it on the top of the cage, right under the light source. I have also read on the PetSmart web sight that it us supposed to be “placed at the opposite end from your heat source. This is a must for desert dwelling reptiles to help you regulate the temperatures inside your reptile's habitat”. Now this thought goes into my second question, but is the “74 – 80 degrees F” during the daytime temp suppose to be coming off the hot side, or off the cool side?

#2) My second question is on temp. Right now, during the day, my temp is sitting at an average of 77F. (This is a reading on the hot side.) All of the Care Sheets I have read, state the temp should read “74 – 80 degrees F” during the day time, so I think that 77 is ok? I am currently using a 50 watt EXO-TERRA Black Light Heat Lamp. Will that be sufficient?

Now yesterday I talked to a gentleman at a PetExtreme that said the temp should me around 95-100 Degrees F on the hot side of the tank. I know that is to darn hot, but I just need to clear that up for sure. Anyways, against my better judgment, I went with his theory for 1 day, and I bought a new bulb for my lamp. The new bulb is a ESU Reptile: NightLight SPOT 60 watt “NOCTURNAL BALCK HEAT LAMP” and it upped the temp in the tank to 85.5 Degrees F. So after I saw the 85.5 on the thermometer, I changed back to my 50 WATT.

#3) My third question lies on the Light Bulb itself. EXO-TERRA vs ESU Reptile. I was wondering if one brand of bulb better than the other, or is it personal preference? (With all the colors to choose from, which one is the right one?: Black Light, blue, red, clear & frosted)

#4) My Fourth and final question is on Cage Size. Now I still have him in the same 10 gallon tank as when I first bought him. Now I have read that 10g, at this age, is to small and I should upgrade his housing to a 20g. My current dimensions for the 10g tank are as follows. 20”wide/12”high/10”deep

I know I should know all this, after a year, but I just need to make sure. For my gecko’s sake.

Thanks guys for reading…

… Also, you can check out pictures of my gecko & his cage at my web sight. http://mnh01.home.comcast.net/Rhacodactylus.htm It will list all of the items I use to make up his cage. See if it looks all right, or if it needs anything more.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Okie Dokie, you sure do like to type!

#1) What kind of thermometer are you using? If its one of thos glass stick on piece of junk items than get rid of it and go down and buy a digital thermometer with a probe or a temp gun. Most of the time room temp is sufficient, but seeing as with a bulb it only reached 77 i think hte bulb is needed. As long as the cool end is about 73* F and the warm is no more than 80*F your fine.

2#) Kinda answered in #1 but one thing to point out. I think those black lights are bad. Something about vision maybe? Could be wrong. I would maybe consider buying a Ceramc Heat emitter. These produce heat, but no light.

This gentelmen is WRONG! Thats even too hot for a desert dwelling species the leopard gecko! The temperature should never exceed the low 80's or the gecko can become stressed and die. Their natural habitat shields them from intense sun exposure, so they only get temps around the mod 70's during the day.

#3) If you mean your leaving it on all day and night, go with the red or blue light. As I said not completely sure aboutt he black light.

#4) yea once they reach about 6 months old you can move them into their permanent adult home that can suite them for their entire life. This size would be a 20 gallon TALL enclosure ( 24"L x 12"w x 16"H ).

Going to checko out pics right now :wink: