55 gallon big enough for a bearded?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by K_J_, Aug 31, 2008.

1. K_J_

K_J_ Embryo

I hope so! I have a 55 gallon tank lying around. Just didn't work for geckos. Is it big enough for a single Beardie?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kephy

kephy Moderator

I don't think so.

The dragon should be able to turn completely around without bending it's tail against the side of the tank (this can cause stress to the spine over a period of time.) So if the average dragon grows to be 18 inches long, then the width of the tank should be no less than 18 inches. Typically 55 gallon tanks are only 12 inches wide.

Another rule of thumb is that an adult dragon should have a minimum of 6 square feet of floor space, and a 55g only has 4 square feet.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ikermalli

ikermalli Well-Known Member

I thought that is supposed to big enough. Isn'tt he minimum 40 gallons but most people recommend 50 or more?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. thegeckoguy

thegeckoguy New Member

ya its supossed to be for one adult is 40 for 2 beardies its 55 or larger..........provode as much space as you can though

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. stacesam1

stacesam1 Member

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. kephy

kephy Moderator

This is why I tell people to forget about gallons and look at the floor space. Beardies don't care how tall their tank is or how many gallons it can hold, they only need room on the ground to move around. A 55g tank is no larger than a 40 gallon breeder tank when it comes to floor space, they both have approximately 4 square feet (the 40g actually has slightly more). The 55 gallon tank is just a slightly taller tank, which is why it can hold more gallons, but that doesn't make it bigger in a beardie's eyes.

40 gallon Breeder 36" x 18" x 17"
    55 gallon 48" x 13" x 21"
    Standard Tank Size Chart

The problem with the 55 gallon tank is that it is long but narrow, too narrow for a beardie to comfortably turn around without putting pressure on his spine. The depth of the tank must be at least as long as the lizard itself, this is very important when deciding the size tank for a lizard. The 40 gallon breeder tank is preferred because it's 18 inches deep instead of 13, give the beardie more room to turn. If you want to recommend the next biggest size for a beardie after the 40g breeder, it's a 75 gallon tank (48 x 19 x 22). That has about 6 square feet of floor space, which to me, is the ideal minimum size for one adult beardie. Skip the 50, 55, and 65 gallon tanks altogether, as the floor space doesn't change significantly enough to be worth the so-called "upgrade".

As for two beardie fitting in a 55 gallon, that is just scary. They would have to crawl over one another to get from one end of the tank to the other, and for a territorial reptile that would be a nightmare. I don't recommend housing beardies together at all, but if you did and wanted to do it successfully they would need at least 8 square feet of floor space (around 120 gallons) MINIMUM.

12. Nessi

Nessi Member

Well, that makes more sense, Mandee. I've worried about gallon size for years, but you are right, it's the floor space that matters and whether or not the beardie can turn around without bumping the sides or bending his tail (even slightly). They don't ask for much, just a tank that is adequate size and food that is good for them...not to mention lighting that makes them healthy. If the beardie is 12 inches now, guaranteed he will reach 18 inches at some point.

13. thegeckoguy

thegeckoguy New Member

ya only heres the prob....:
    do i really need a big tank since sierra justs baskes all day ,i hand feed her, and for exercise she comes out and runs on my bed a lot.....she dosent really use her tank except for sleeping and basking....both of witch are in the same spot.....i dont think i need to waste my money on a big tank.....the 40s near me are 140$ and sierra has a 30......

14. kephy

kephy Moderator

If you take her out a lot, and plan to do so for the rest of her life, you could get away with a 40 gallon breeder when she is full grown. But she will definitely need at least the 40 gallon breeder.

You did say yourself though, provide as much space as you can. A larger tank is not a waste of money, any dragon would enjoy having more space to move around in. It took me a few years before I had enough money to upgrade my dragon's tank sizes, and they had "enough" space at the time (the minimum), but I don't consider it a waste of money giving them more.

15. thegeckoguy

thegeckoguy New Member

i think im gonna make a custom made 60 or 75

16. matts99

matts99 Embryo

so a 55 for a single beardie won't be good enough?

17. sandyt8114

sandyt8114 New Member

Talking about a 40 gallon breeder tank. I have one and have had two beardies in it for over 5 years and had no problem. Plus I have no problem with having a male and female in the same tank. It seems my male is getting to old now to breed. I did have a few clutches about two years ago. But, as having room to turn and walk around their doing just fine. good luck

18. kephy

kephy Moderator

No, I would not recommend it.

I'm sure they have room to turn around and walk, just not much. They can't really complain or tell you otherwise, but I'm sure they'd have been (and still would be) even happier in a larger tank. I can't tell you what you've been doing for years isn't working, I just disagree with it. I would personally never recommend it. I didn't like that tank size for one beardie, I can't imagine two living in there for their entire lives. That's like my husband and I being forced to live in a single bedroom for years, it would be awful, and we aren't even territorial creatures by nature. I hope you at least take them out a lot, that's all I can really say. 40 gallon breeder is the standard minimum recommended size for a single beardie, never meant for two. Maybe you'll consider an upgrade in the future, it's not too late.