20L-How long would it last a baby Uro

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by Deeguana, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Deeguana

Deeguana Embryo

If this question has been answered in the past, I apologize for not finding it. How long would a 20L aquarium last my Uro? Right now I can get a really good deal on a 20L (W glass top, built in lights $70.00)-if this could last him till summer it would be great. If it won't then my next option is a 40 gallon breeder-but how long would that last him?

Thanks,
    Deeguana

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. justkev

justkev Hi :) Staff Member

the tank would be ok for a while, but the glass top is of no use to you or the uro as it will block almost all of the needed UVB. If by built in lights you mean the standard aquarium strip light, this really isn't useful either.

a great choice for a small uro in a 20L tank would be a 100w mercury vapor bulb, a deep dome fixture and a lamp stand.

I use this exact setup with 20L tanks for several species of lizards and it is really hard to beat. Also, when your uro eventually grows into the 40 breeder, the mentioned products will work perfectly with that tank as well.

consider these (or similar) products as necessary not optional for your uro.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. MimC

MimC Moderator

A 20 long should last you through the summer, as long as you build your hides properly so they are high enough to get close enough to the basking spot to achieve a basking temp of 125-130 without overheating the entire tank. Uros are slow growers (except egyptians!) and a 40breeder will last 2 years easily. They are active though, so if you are thinking of buying this tank then getting the 40breeder at the end of the summer - i would just go with the 40b because your Uro will use every inch of the space you provide him - these guys love to MOVE!

Because of their high activity level i always recomend starting with a 40breeder - it will last quite a while and is really best for them to get the activity they require :rolleyes:

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi,
    I would go along with MimC, I would go straight to the 40g breeder if you can, will save you money in the long run. Depending on the species of uro, a 40 could last it's life.
    The really answer is, the bigger the better, uro's will use every inch of space.
    The 20 with lights, as justkev says, if they are OUTSIDE the tank then they are a waste of time, glass cuts 99.9% of uvb.
    With a 40B you can get the correct temp gradient, with basking spot of 125/130F, warm end 95/100F and cool end mid 80's, something which would be hard to achieve with a 20.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Deeguana

Deeguana Embryo

Thanks guys! 40 gallon it is!