20g tank holds how many crickets?

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by rofiudafo, Nov 16, 2009.

1. rofiudafo

rofiudafo New Member

how many crickets could you hold in a 20 gallon tank? i believe its a 20g anyways, its 30x12x16 roughly.

just wanting to know how many crickets it would hold,and how many i should order.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

How many crickets will you need and what size will they be?

A 30" x 12" x 16" is more like a 29 gallon ish... A 20 gallon high would be 24" long along with the other dimensions and a 29 gallon is those dimensions exactly with an additional two inch height (30" x 12" x 18").

Anyway... A general rule of thumb is about 1000 crickets per 10 gallons, so I would estimate if that is actually the 29 gallon size you could house upwards to 3000 crickets. That is, assuming you have adequate hiding and are utilizing as much surface area with egg crates as possible.

Size of the crickets is also a factor to consider. If you are keeping entirely adults you might want to cut down that average amount of crickets able to be kept by a bit and if they are all small crickets then you can probably get away with adding some more. A lot of it just depends on the size of the crickets and how much space is used by/how many egg crates there are in the aquarium for the crickets to use.

But anwway...I would say you can get away with about 3000 average sized crickets =)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. rofiudafo

rofiudafo New Member

its 30L x 12W which you probably got. i would be getting large crickets, 1" or 3/4" and i would be using paper towel rolls/tp rolls. egg cartons that come with the crickets in the box. what else should i use for them to go in/climb on....etc.

i'd probably be buying 1000 or 500 of them.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

You can easily house 1000+ crickets in that size, even with slightly less "furniture" for them to use for hiding and climbing.

Paper towel rolls are fine, really anything that they can climb on to up the surface area so they arent walking on top of each other every where they go. These climbing structures they will use to hide and feel secure with as well, so stacking them or placing them in such a way that the crickets aren't always exposed to the outside area is best for them.

I think cardboard type egg crates work best for them, and really most feeder insects for that matter. They can climb on them, hide in them, and you can get them for pretty cheap or free. Then you can just stack them however you want them and come time for cricket collection just shake the bugs off into cup or feeding container by grabbing one of the crates. This can be done with paper towel or toilet paper tubes as well.

I would provide hiding area over about 2/3 of the enclosure for them with an open area in the other 1/3 that has food and "water" like the water crystals or your veggies. If the salad items used to hydrate the crickets aren't liquidy, then you can just place them right on the egg crate instead (like greens, potato, carrot, etc.).