10 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Fiche, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

I was just curious if there is any type of reptile that could live a full and happy life in a 10 gallon glass tank? I may just keep the tank around in case of some type of emergency but I wanted to know what my options were (if there are any). Also, many other people here have non-reptilian pets in their homes, is there any type of small mouse or other furry thing that could live in a 10 gallon tank?

Thanks for any help.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. iGorx

iGorx Member

any kind of spider could live in a 10 gallon, a Pac Man frog could aswell. a Crested gecko can live in a 10 gallon untill he is about 7 months

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. plmarsg8

plmarsg8 Well-Known Member

Geckos such as House geckos can. Also, Anoles and Newts and Salamanders

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jayhay

jayhay Well-Known Member

I would go for something like a pictus or a viper gecko. Your tank already has a UTH on it, so a groud species that needs belly heat (as these two do) will make the best use of your tank. Both species stay pretty small and therefore they can live hapily in a 10g. Micro geckos are pretty cool too, but these guys are teeny tiny. Do you have a reptile show in your area? I find that most of the smaller harder to find species are easier to find at shows.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Hm, thanks for the great ideas guys. Jenn, I haven't really heard of any reptile shows in my town, but maybe in one of the larger towns nearby. Maybe I should take a look into that. Also, does anyone know anything about tree frog or other frog species? I've heard that even White's tree frogs can live in a 10 gallon. Seems a bit small to me though.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. paulnj

paulnj Member

I had 2 female leucistic RETF's in a exoterra 12" cube for 2 month(quarantine) and raised some(22 made it) rescued grey treefrog tadpoles to 3 month olds in a 10 gallon before releasing them.

I truely can't see why a 10 gallon (on it's end) wouldn't be ok for a grey, red-eyed, clown, green,.....
    They spend most of the time clinging to the glass or foliage in my exoterra 18x18x24( breeding group of 2:3)

12. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Thanks paulnj. Good to hear from someone who has kept treefrogs. I'm actually interested in RETFs, but I don't know much about them yet and didn't know how large they would be, or if it was reccommended to house them separately. You feel that 10gallons would be more than enough for one or two RETFs though?

13. paulnj

paulnj Member

14. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Thanks for the caresheets. I've seen a few, but I'm never sure which ones to trust.

15. paulnj

paulnj Member

care sheets are all the same no matter the species. You take them all with a grain of salt and read as many as possible. Generally if you read a few you'll get all the needed info.

I keep mine on coco fiber with some Philodendrons for foliage. My suggestion is either blackjungle for tank supplies or get 1 PLANT at home depot/ lowes that's like a Philodendron . Too much foliage will make it tough to find uneaten/ dead crickets and to remove fecal matter.

16. icyteathunder

icyteathunder New Member

My friend has a barred tiger slamander in a ten gallon and it does extremly well, not to mention they are really easy. you can feed it night crawlers from walmart(or where ever you can get live bait) and crickets from almost any pet store. They are a mole salamander that can be kept on damp coco fiber, have a water bowl, and some sort of hide(he uses a resin log so it doesnt decompose). they arent that pricey either. Once again just an idea.

heres a link with info on them.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml

17. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Thanks for the link icyteathunder, that was a pretty interesting read. I have a few questions about the little guys though. First, that article said that they will recognize their caretakers? Has your friend experienced this? I would like to find something a little more personable and if they really are that friendly that would be great. Also, can you actually hold them? I was under the impression that salamanders were a look-don't-touch type of pet.

18. icyteathunder

icyteathunder New Member

Well...my firend likes to feed him a little over a bit...and yes i have actually seen the salamander recognize him as a food source and is somewhat personable for reptiles, lthough i have had a great experience myself with leos who have a fun personality. They are however amphibians so it is recommended that you do not hold them much at all due to your skin oils. when he does hold them he just wets his hands first but still does not hold them as much as most herps. BAck to the feeding, if you get them on a schedule that everytime they come out they get fed, they tend to come out more often, which once this habit is started you do not need to keep that up.

19. plmarsg8

Although most keepers keep them in a 10 gallon, I have to disagree. These animals are the largest of the mole salamansers and thould be given at least a 15 gallon enclosure. I myself have one in a 20 gallon enclosure on a few inches of coco fiber. Also, like Icyteathunder said, they do infact recognize their keeper as a source of food. They come to the glass to greet you during their feeding.

20. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Thanks for the information icy and plmarsg8 it's all going into my collection. There's currently a "no more reptiles" rule in affect at my place, so I guess I have plenty of time to find just the right type of thing to put in there.

21. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

That's a shame about the no more reptiles rule. I currently have the same situation :D It's a real bummer, but if i persuaded my mum to let me have a snake, i'm sure i can work on her again this time. Just may take some time though lol

22. plmarsg8

It is bestowed upon most of us, me included

23. Fiche

Fiche GOTM Winner

Haha, well good luck luke, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Some days it seems like I'm the only one with that rule, but I think you're right plmarsg8, a lot of us are under that umbrella. Well, I'm sure one day our situations will change. In the meantime, fight the power!... or something like that. :D

24. icyteathunder

icyteathunder New Member

Yea...im sort of under that rule, neing in a college dorm...but that still didnt stop me, i love em to much.

[​IMG]

25. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

Hehe, thanks Fiche, my fingers are crossed for you too! And you plmarsg8! It's a shame people see snakes as mean, (i still get people asking me *omg you have a snake, doesn't it bite!?*) and i don't know why i'm not allowed any lizards.. hmm.

Anyways, back to the thread, Fiche, what are you leaning towards (even if it does take you a while to persuade your boyfriend :D)