10 gallon Filler Lizard

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by gecko94, Nov 17, 2007.

1. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

I am upgrading my leos 10 gallon to a 30 gal and i was wondering what a good lizard is that could fit in a ten gallon tank for her whole life. Please don't bother putting any geckos, i've all ready asked on the gecko forums. thanks! :lol:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Katibug06

Katibug06 Member

There really isn't anything as far as lizards go, a ten gallon is way too small for something to have to live in for their whole life.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

10 gals are pretty small. Only thing is an anole really, but they are expensive to set up. You'll need to make sure you thoroughly clean and disenfect the tank though.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. gecko94

gecko94 New Member

So the only lizards that could fit in a 10 gall is a n anole? I guess i'll probably just go with a house or viper gecko. But what do you mean "exspensive to set up?"

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. 00luke00

00luke00 Well-Known Member

You could have a fence lizard, or something of that size in there, but they are all pretty expensive to set up. They all need special lighting, and most are pretty much prone to having some kind of disease which would need to be treated by a vet.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. anoleboy2

anoleboy2 Member

They are more expensive then you'd think, they really get you when you pay 3$ for a cocohut and twenty for all of the plants then maybe you get something that you think you'd like such as an exo-terra waterfall (trust me it's alot cheaper to make your own waterfall and get things such as sticks and such from outside and sterilize them because even if you only get a couple of things that are 5$ a piece it adds up really fast.

12. Schneider09Skinks

Schneider09Skinks Embryo

For their whole life? Nothing. There isn't a lizard that will fit comfortably in a 10 gallon. You may want to try a couple of frogs instead.

13. Jaws10A

Jaws10A Member

A Leopard Gecko would do fine in a 10 gallon for some time. However, as it gets older a 20 gallon will become necessary.

If it a tall 10 gallon a Crested Gecko would do fine. However, if it is a general rectangular terrarium, it wouldn't be tall enough. =/

14. reptileluver

reptileluver Embryo

a small leo can, mine does. But I have shelfs and hides, and a cage topper. She's a little sweetie! (she's a great eater, really big)

15. SoJocelynWasLike

SoJocelynWasLike New Member

While there are some small lizards that CAN be kept in a ten gallon tank, I think you'll find that even with small lizards a larger tank is required to provide a proper heating spectrum.
    But fear not, because there IS a way to put this ten gallon to good use: Crickets! Crickets are expensive to buy on a weekly basis. But if kept in the right conditions, they'll breed and you don't really have to do much to help them. =] I used to put all my crickets in a little critter keeper but found that they didn't last long. But then I put them in my ten gallon and voila! They pretty much paid for themselves after that. 10 gallons is the perfect size tank to keep your crickets in if you want to properly gutload them. Just throw a small heat lamp on top and put dirt on one side for them to lay eggs. Spray the dirt once a day and you're golden. =]

But if you REALLY REALLY just HAVE to have another critter, a scorpion or a tarantula would probably fare well in a ten gallon, although that would be the minimum tank size. They're both pretty cool pets if you just want eye candy, or something to scare the guests with =P
    You could also throw a couple salamanders in there, or some cool looking frogs.

But really, if you have a ten gallon just sitting around and nothing to put your crickets in, use the ten gallon. It worked for me!

16. beefcake

beefcake Member

a pacman frog would be good for a 10 gal

17. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

Yes, I agree, a frog would be fun. Pacmans are cool. So are Whites TFs, but I think adults need a 20 gallon min. You could look into poison dart frogs, tomato frogs, fire bellied toads, green eyed TFs, etc. Maybe other amphibians too like salamanders. ;) I've always wanted a frog. The only problem is that you can't really handle them.

18. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

the only non geckos i can think of are pacman frogs, fire belly toads, fire belly newts, and an anole