1 or 2 to a tank?

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by guitrage, Oct 18, 2004.

1. guitrage

guitrage Embryo

Do corns generally do better when they're housed alone or with a buddy? Do they benefit from the interaction, or is it stressful for them to be with other snakes?

Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

They are best kept by themselves unless they are of breeding age/size and are together for breeding.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. joey

joey New Member

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Then you are a lucky one!
    Snakes are best housed in their own cages.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. joey

joey New Member

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

??????????

Can I ask Why you keep 3 together? Do you have 3 seperate warm spots? Sure snakes will huddle together. If theres only one heat source they will all use it. They aren't intelligent enough to take turns or take a number.

How do you know which one deficates and which one had a loose stool. When you take in a fecal sample and have a problem who do you medicate?

I hope your feeding in seperate containers. Even so I don't like putting snakes that smell of rodent back into a cage with other like rodent smelling snakes, specially when they CAN be canablistic at times. Granted thats usually when young. But why chance it.

I hope they don't tell you that is ok to keep multiple milksnakes or kingsnakes together.

I'd have to question the integrity of a breeder or so called expert that gives the blessing on multiple cage mates.

12. joey

joey New Member

13. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

I assume these are the same people that like to let multiple snakes live in the same cage?

Riddle me this one. If it is so good for the snakes to cohabitate together, how come in all my years you never find 2,3,4 cornsnakes in the same hiding spot? Obviously they should know whats good for them right? Only snakes in the wild that cohabitate are rattlesnakes.

While they are not as canibalistic as say a kingsnake, it has happened. many colubrids are known to be canibalistic specially when young.

So that means your going to take my advice? I breed snakes and many consider me an expert.

Its your business what you do with your snakes, but i highly doubt the snakes are happy. Don't think they had much say in the deal.

14. joey

joey New Member

15. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

:roll:

Your right you are all knowing I'm just a fool. Maybe get 3 males for them in there too. And be sure not to quarentine them, as I'm sure the ones you have now never were.

No one posts here to make someone feel stupid, sorry you take it that way. I'm just looking out for your snakes best interests. I'm SURE that if you asks some other experts (and i don't mean the ones that want to sell you more snakes) they will agree to one snake per gage.
    We all know people don't strech the truth to make a sale, take used car salesmen, they always embelish to make a sale, is it always fact, probably not.

Funny that when you go to the zoo, just about all their snakes are only one to a cage too. Maybe they just cant afford them huh? Or could it be that they are on to something?

No they can't. Did you or would you like to share a small room with your 3 sisters with no door to get away from them? (i have no idea if you have sisters, just an example) And think about your answer. You would be stuck in the same room, no escaping to other rooms. Sound fun? It might be for an hour or maybe even a day, but you would get pretty sick of them. A human would go insane real quick, so why assume the snakes are so happy together?

Ok maybe there is no right or wrong answer, but there is better and worse. I'm done, just trying to get you to see the light. not attacking you, not my intention. Snakes are solitary animals.

16. joey

joey New Member

17. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

your perogative Good luck with them.

18. Venzor

Venzor New Member

Corn Snakes are not naturally social. That's a fact. They do not need companionship throughout their lives in order to thrive. But that does not mean they cannot be comfortably housed together.

As long as there is sufficient room, and sufficient hiding spots for each snake to have her own, then I see no problem in housing them together. Corn snakes are NOT cannibalistic. At least not intentionally. I've not heard a story of mature snakes being cannibalistic - though hatchlings are commonly so, but only by accident. If you keep three snakes in a 10gal tank with only one or two hiding spots, then there's a problem. As another precaution to prevent accidental cannibalism, only house similarly-sized snakes together.

It's doable, and with the right care, it's safe and healthy.

On a side note: Accusing Joey of being an incompetant snake keeper is a fallacious assumption and uncalled for. You feel that one should house snakes seperately, he feels one can house them together. Discuss that. If you wish to accuse someone something, keep it private. Let's please not stray off topic. Defend your claims with facts, not sarcasm and put-downs.

19. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

Never once was she called or implied to be Incompetant. I think she has received some poor advice from people. Any serious herp keeper even up to respected zoos will tell you the best case scenario is to house them individually. Only point im trying to get across.

I've even had Boas attack each other being introduced for breeding. These are similar sized snakes and definately male and female. But she desides she wanted to bite wrap and attempt to kill him. No food involved. these snakes were together 2 weeks prior and were quite friendly. gave him a week breather and re introduced him and she attacked him instantly. And Boa constrictors specially when adults are not known to be canibalistic or agressive to each other.

You just never know

20. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

I've always heard rattlesnakes are the only ones that cohabitate in the wild as well. Please provide some evidence to the contrary and educate the both of us.

Also, try to keep your posts as friendly as you can during debates such as these. You have assumed ed_r is unsure of his knowledge in the above statement you made. Where did that come from?

21. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

I'd be interested to know these many different species that regularly co habitate. Other than some obscure species from Istambul. and other than species noted together during breeding.

If you going to put down someones information, providing the correct answers and examples would be beneficial so we ALL can learn.

I'll be the first to say i don't know everything. But I do know no snakes do better by being cohabitated with other snakes.

22. joey

joey New Member

23. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

Your entitled to your oppinion on what you consider proper care. This does not make it fact.

The rest of us stated our oppinions on this. I really see no reason to chime in again with the same information.

Not sure where you got your info, but anyone can make a website and say anything will work. I could make a website that says its ok to feed multiple snakes in one enclosure. Would that make it right?

24. natashaccollins

natashaccollins Member

I only put my 5 corns together when it was time for breeding otherwise they were kept away from eachother because they got testy with eachother. When breeding they were as good as gold but when it was all over things started to get heated.

25. Venzor

Venzor New Member

It really all depends on two things:

1. Personal preference

2. Snake temperance

Some Corns live very well with cage mates, and some may not. I have not heard a story of failure in this area with *corn* snakes, but I have heard many of success. Each snake has his/her own independent personality, as simple as their minds may be. Just because they do not cohabitate in the wild does not mean it is unsafe for them to do so in a domesticated environment.

Some keepers prefer to keep their snakes separate to avoid any conflict, which is perfectly fine. Others feel confident their snakes will get along, and that is perfectly OK too. Years of corn snake keeping has shown either is acceptable, given the right circumstances. I have not seen any proof of stress related to cohabitation in a properly designed vivarium. On the other hand, even with a very large tank, with plenty of room for two snakes to keep to themselves, no matter what they need, some have been known to seek the other out and lie with him/her.

Here is one account of cohabitating corn snakes, getting along very well.

http://snakepictures.members.easyspace.com/

My advice is to be careful. Make positively sure you can provide what is necessary, assuming 100% that each snake wants to live independently. (I.e. multiple hides, heat spots, water dishes, etc...) From there you have all your bases covered as far as giving your corns a healthy and happy environment.